Friday, May 27, 2016

May 27, 2016

Another quick trip to the dam at Hoover Reservoir this morning; I run over there anytime I have an hour or to snap a few pictures.

 I saw the heron from the road about 300 yards away and had to move down 40' of steep hill covered in head sized rocks and then across 200 yards of a flat covered in the same rocks, heavy vegetation and lots of water holes. I was actually surprised to see the bird still there when I got close and he actually held tight for a minute or two.

I walked up on the spotted sandpiper while moving along the creek in tall, dew soaked grass. This bird either didn't notice me or wasn't too bothered by my presence because he actually hopped onto closer stones 3 times before taking off. This shot was taken at only about 20' or so with the 400 mm lens.

Overall I think it was a fairly productive way to spend an hour or so!





3 comments:

  1. Excellent images of the Spotted Sandpiper, wearing breeding plumage, too. Very nice, I like them both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good image of the Heron also, calm and stately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Adelle. I was pretty excited about the sandpiper; he was a great and willing subject!

      Delete