Thursday, May 19, 2016

May 19, 2016

I had a bit of time to shoot some pics this afternoon. I was fortunate enough to stumble onto an active osprey nest! I spotted the large nest high on a power transmission tower from a distance of nearly a mile. I walked down the power line cut until I was a couple towers away and then slipped into the woods to approach close unseen from the nest. I was able to get within about 75 yards when the parent came out. I only stayed around for a few minutes as not to stress them. It was very cool!

I got this shot of a rose-breasted grosbeak and the little warbler; not sure what variety of warbler this is, I looked through some things on Cornell's website and could not decide. Anyone who may know for sure please let me know in the comments. 









3 comments:

  1. These are geat images Matt. The last Osprey image shown here is fantastic. I can almost hear him scree.....
    I love the wings-it's perfect. These are all so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adelle! I am so glad I made the long walk; I was not certain the nest was even occupied. When I first got onto this property there was a bald eagle circling and I thought that was going to be an eagle's nest; surprise! I was rewarded big time for the effort.

      Delete
    2. Yes the Eagles like to watch the Osprey for any opportunity to steal their catch. Osprey are more adept at catching fish and will relinquish it if threatened by the more powerful Eagle. Osprey like to avoid areas where there are Eagles.

      Delete