Monday, May 2, 2016

May 2, 2016

I took this shot of a spotted sandpiper below the Hoover Reservoir dam last evening.  The second and third shots are lesser yellow legs- I think so anyway. My posts have slowed a bit the last couple of weeks as I have spent some time fishing. As luck would have it as soon as I got into the creek yesterday (fishing) I spotted a merganser hen with 6-7 chicks; I had only my I phone and the pictures were just terrible. I went back a few hours later and the mother had evidently moved the family, I could not find them again.

While researching the second two shots to make sure I have identified them correctly I realized I made a mistake with the post on April 10. I now think those birds are greater yellow legs because they have a slight up-turn to their bills. This is my  source which will support my conclusion. These sandpiper like shore birds are extremely tricky to identify with complete certainty.



2 comments:

  1. These are wonderful images, Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking and commenting I really appreciate it!

      Delete