Saturday, March 21, 2015

March 21, 2015

I was given the opportunity to spend a couple weeks in Arkansas. Today I had some free time and was able to visit the White River National Wildlife Refuge in southeastern Arkansas. The water is very high with the recent rains and snow melt in the area. The areas around the river are flooded and swiftly flowing with muddy water; not much in the way of waterfowl on the river. There were many ducks and geese in the surrounding floodplains and rice fields. Among the species I was able to identify were mallards, coots, northern shovelers, green-winged teal, white fronted geese, snow geese, and wood ducks.

I did not have great luck with the camera as you will see. It was difficult to get close to the birds as they could see me from  quite a long way. I need to do some research and determine a few things; many of my shots are not great in overcast conditions. I may need to make some adjustment to exposure, I will figure it out in time.

I was excited to get the chance to photograph the white fronted geese, I do wish the shot was better.




No comments:

Post a Comment