Monday, March 9, 2015

March 9, 2015

March has been a great month for waterfowl photographing in central Ohio! Due to the extreme cold weather in our area the birds have concentrated themselves in any open water they can find. Many pictures I have taken this month have been in the tailrace below the dam at Hoover Reservoir located on the northeast side of Columbus and an aerated addition pond near South Bloomfield Ohio.

Finding the pond in South Bloomfield was a real stroke of luck. I have stopped there a few times over the last couple of weeks. This past Friday I spent a couple of hours there shooting, almost all of the 300 or so ducks present were divers. I was patient and went slowly with the birds and they let me get very close to them. I am really proud of the shots of the cans, redheads, and mergansers.

With the approach of the spring thaw I fear the ducks will begin to spread out and make photographing them more difficult . I look forward to the return of species such as wood ducks and teal and hope to catch up with some of them this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment