Sunday, March 15, 2015

March 15, 2015

I visited the waterfowl marsh at Delaware Wildlife Area near Delaware, Ohio this afternoon. It was a productive trip and I am glad I went. There were several waterfowl species present; Canadian geese, northern shovelers, mallards, hooded mergansers, common goldeneye, and a pair of American coots. I normally don't spend much time on mallards or geese, I just don't find them too interesting because there are so many of them around.

I could not get close enough to the shovelers to get a good shot; nothing to post on the shovelers. I got a couple  shots of the hooded mergansers, they were really skittish and would not stick around to be photographed, so a couple shots but nothing to be very excited about. There are some pretty nice shots of the hooded mergansers in an older post in my blog. I flushed out a common goldeneye that was hanging out with the mergansers, I am disappointed I could not get a shot of the goldeneye to share with you all.

Best shots of the day were the coots. Most times they are not too exciting but I do find them interesting. I did just a bit of research at:

 http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Coot/id

I was surprised the coot is not really a duck but a closer relative of the sandhill crane, I did not know that fact; this has become a fascinating hobby! There is so much to learn it should never get boring.

Comments on any of the posts here are very much appreciated, so feel free leave your thoughts and thanks for visiting. Enough chatter lets get on with the show!

Hooded Merganser




American Coot














3 comments:

  1. And to think I've been ignoring those ole coots! You sure show them off at their best.
    Great images of them. I do like the Hoodie image also. Since I have run from shore to soggy shore just to get a glimpse of these handsome fellows, I can relate to the difficulty of getting a shot. I like your image too because this is how you see them, if you're lucky. I spent over an hour cramped in a tiny spot by a dead log once just to watch one go by. Right in front of me, but even though I was in camo, he could sense me there. I was only watching with binocs, not moving, but every little sense that he possessed told him there was something not normal there. His eyes were intense and everything about him was ready for flight. But I got my eyes full before he moved away. It's so fun to watch them when they are showing off for the girls and flashing their hoods. They are so little and they just get so full of themselves it cracks me up. Now I'll be looking for the other image you have on here somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the red eyes the coots have...need to find areas like parks where the birds are a ;little more at ease, some may consider that cheating I suppose, but you get a chance to compose better shots. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete