Sunday, July 24, 2016

July 24, 2016

I was up at 4:30 again this morning and made another trip to Delaware to see who would be hanging around the marsh.  Shortly after dawn this heron flew in roosted in a dead tree near where I had set up with my tripod. After around 30 minutes he flew down and landed about 25' square in front of me. I saw a green heron on this pile of branches a couple weeks back so it was no accident I was in this spot. The problem I had was I set up too close to the bird and could not get the entire bird in the frame. I put on a mesh camouflage suit which was very effective, the bird never figured me out and stayed for more than an hour. I was sitting on a folding stool behind the tripod, both feet fell asleep and my butt went numb while I was unable to move for fear of spooking the bird away.

I was is such hope this heron would snatch a fish, frog, or something and I would have an amazing close up shot of him consuming some unlucky prey; never happened. He looked very interested in something in the water a few times and moved around on the brush pile a bit but never went after anything. Perhaps his belly was full and he was just loafing.










No comments:

Post a Comment