Saturday, March 18, 2017

March 18, 2017

 I think I have finally caught up for the most part with processing the files I have accumulated over the past month. I have been out in the field until dark 3 nights this week. I want to take a few minutes and catch up on something equally important to me as photography; just being out enjoying what mother nature has given us. I have a bad habit of getting hung up on the pictures and technical crap and forgetting to just stop and reflect on the experiences afield while they are somewhat fresh in my mind.

I was Delaware Wildlife Area Wednesday after work. While working my way into the back water marsh in my favorite pond I nearly stepped on a woodcock that was hanging out in a in a hedge row. I thought that was pretty neat since these guys are migratory and this bird was obviously headed back to Michigan, Pennsylvania, or even Canada to nest and hopefully have success breeding the next generation.

The next evening I was in the same place. After standing in thigh deep water for a couple hours shooting ducks and geese until well after sunset I was cold and ready to call it a night. I headed out and stopped during the short walk to my car to listen to a pack of coyotes howling. I got to the car, unloaded my gear, and got out of my waders and heavy jackets. As I stood watching wave after wave of ducks and geese fly into a large tract of flooded timber I noticed a different bird. I watched this guy fly over and circle and then saw him come down and land in the overgrown field; woodcock again! I began looking and watching closer and saw at least a dozen more come in and land with the first, I found this amazing as I have only witnessed something even somewhat similar with woodcock in the fall. I have never given much thought to the fall migration of these fascinating little birds.

I have posted this spring a couple shots of the trumpeter swans and continue to see a pair on the properly at Delaware. I love seeing these beauty's and will take and post more photos and opportunities arise. Another large migrator I have seen a fair amount of are sandhill cranes, its obvious when they are near when I hear the dog bark like calling they make.

 Its been an awesome spring with regards to waterfowl and I am sure we have not seen the peak of activity yet. There are a few other places I will be visiting as we move along here; I wish there were more hours in the day.

I have watched a small flock of hooded mergansers fly into the marsh 15 minutes after sunset and land in the same place for a couple nights. Thursday I was set up leaning against a tree in waist deep water when they flew in as scheduled to their landing strip. I shot this female hoody in very low light with my 300 mm lens. Since I was so close to her I was able to get a pretty good image despite the fading daylight. The second shot is a pair of buffle-heads; they are the first buffys I have seen this spring.








3 comments:

  1. That is a really great shot Matt. I love it. So beautiful, the detail in the feathers on her wings, the tawny crest, super sharp.
    And the Bufflehead pair, showing his colors and the curious look.
    Another favorite. Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I am very proud of the mergy. I have struggled with low light and battled digital noise. I feel like I am getting the hang of it. Most important thing as always is being CLOSE to subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be sticking these up all over the walls like wallpaper.
    They are awesome. The female in the middle of the three Hoodies, with one up on his breast, all showing off for her..I love it.
    It's not easy to get close, and it's cool for me to see them this close. It's going to be warm enough here for the fishing boats to be out and they'll all fly away...you'll have your images to surround you and take you back to being out there with them.

    ReplyDelete