Friday, March 10, 2017

March 10, 2017

I made a late afternoon trip up to Delaware Wildlife Area today. I was surprised to see a pair of trumpeter swans fly into the pond I was visiting. It has turned cold and very windy the last few days and I think some of the waterfowl I have been seeing has either moved on or has sought refuge in a more protected place. There are still some ducks around but in far smaller numbers than have been here the last couple weeks.

The last shot I have is a pied-billed grebe which not a particularly glamorous bird but interesting to me. The grebe makes its living as a diver and uses its short, wide bill to break up crustaceans, fish, insects and many other food items. This guy swam very close to where I was standing and posed pretty nicely.


2 comments:

  1. Nice images, Matt. The head in sharp detail and the wings nicely flared, I like it! The in flight shot is very cool also. Only YOU could go to a pond and find Trumpeters, Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adelle for the credit but even a blind pig finds an acorn once in awhile. I have spent most every minute of my spare time slopping around in that pond for the last month. There are more pics coming if I ever get through processing the 2000 or so files I have piled up:(

      Delete