Sunday, September 25, 2016

September 24, 2015

I made a predawn trip to the marsh at Deer Creek early this morning. As I walked back to the marsh from the road the moon and stars were out and I thought there would be great light; wrong. As the sun came up the clouds rolled in and the sky quickly became completely overcast. I set up on the east side of the marsh with my tripod and folding stool to wait for first light. In the predawn gloom I could see some large white birds out in the marsh which turned out to be egrets. I have not seen many egrets since spring so they were a welcome site. shortly after having enough light an egret flew in and landed in the shallow water just 25 feet in front of me. As I started to move in behind the viewfinder i was caught and the egret was gone! I never had any others come in close. There were some wood ducks pretty close but none of the fully plumed drakes that are so beautiful just immature birds which I passed on shooting.

Also close by were a pair of grebes that I just could not get good shots of in the overcast conditions. Interesting thing, as I sat watching the marsh I heard heavy wing beats directly over my head that were being pended out by a golden eagle! I have now seen two variety's of eagle on this marsh; a few weeks ago I saw a bald eagle. It is always exciting to see these magnificent birds of prey. Not great shots on the eagle; better than nothing so that's life I guess.


This guy was all in after something!




No comments:

Post a Comment