Tuesday, June 7, 2016

June 7, 2016

I have been sitting on these for a few days trying to find a few spare minutes to process them. These are some random dragonflies that I shot; not really sure of the exact variety's. I really like the backgrounds on two of these, they blurred out perfectly!

I am always complaining I can't get close enough to many of the subjects I want to shoot, well I was able to get to the minimum focus distance (12') of the lens I was using. I actually had to back up a bit which presented the challenge of getting a good angle and not getting more grass between me and the dragonflies.




2 comments:

  1. Hey Matt, nice work. You have Whitetails here. Your first one is a Common Whitetail, female. Your other two are male. As he matures his abdomen turns a nice frosty blue-ish white. One of our most common Dragonflies. You can see in your second image the abdomen already starting to pale. Your third image shows a more mature male, he has nearly acheived his complete pruinosity, but one more part of him will turn white also--the lower wing bars closest to his thorax will sport a white spread.
    We have another, a male Skimmer, that becomes pruinose as he matures, a Widow Skimmer, and you will see an abundance of these as well, in more grassy areas. Your Common Whitetails like the wet areas. I hope you're hooked and that we'll see more unusual ones from your favorite river hangouts. The more pristine the river, the more likely you'll find a less common one emerge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all that information! I am not informed on these guys at all; what you have offered here is great and I really appreciate your taking time and sharing your knowledge. Cheers! Matt

      Delete